Shipping costs explained
This article explains how to track shipping costs in Lifetimely and calculation logic applied for calculating the shipping cost of an order. Here we're referring shipping cost as what you're paying to your shipping provider as we automatically sync what customer pays for shipping from Shopify.
There are three different ways of managing shipping costs in Lifetimely:
- Use default shipping cost per country
- Set individual shipping cost per product
- Import shipping costs for individual orders using a CSV-file
1. Use default shipping cost per country
The first option is to set a fixed cost per shipping country at the Shipping costs -page. These values are used as a default rate for shipping an order if there are no individual shipping costs found per country.
Currently, only fixed rates are available for country-based shipping costs. We recommend calculating a 90-day average cost for shipping an order from your courier invoices and using that as a default rate.
2. Set individual shipping cost per product
Another option is to set a shipping cost individually for each or some of your products in the Product costs -page. The individual shipping cost has a higher priority compared to the country based cost setting. If there are multiple items with shipping costs in order, the highest rate will be applied as the shipping cost for the order.
Calculation logic when using both individual product costs and country rates:
- if there’re no products with shipping costs, then the default country based shipping cost is applied
- if a product in order has an individual shipping cost, then that cost is used instead of the country based shipping cost
- if there are multiple products in an order, the highest individual cost is used even if there are products without individual shipping costs
3. Import shipping costs using a CSV file
Instead of setting a fixed shipping cost individual countries, you can import shipping costs for individual orders with a CSV-file. In most cases, you can find a suitable export from most warehouse systems.
How to import shipping costs for individual orders:
1. Go to Shipping cost -settings: https://app.lifetimely.io/cost/shipping-cost-edit
2. Select "CSV-import
3. Download the example file by clicking the link Download an example CSV file.
4. Format your data to match the example file. The file needs only two columns: "Shopify order id" and "Shipping cost" in the store currency without a currency symbol
5. Import your file. You can either use a CSV file in the above format or can manually add the order ids and the shipping cost in store currency in the spreadsheet you see in the import window.
6. You will be asked if your import file has column headers
7. We will then auto map the columns in your CSV file with the columns in our database and will ask you to confirm the mapping.
8. You can then do a final review of your import data
9. Before your data gets added to the system, we will ask you to submit the data you reviewed -
10. When you click YES, your data will be imported and the shipping costs for the past orders will be updated in the next 5-10 minutes.